Friday 2 September 2011

The Sunflower's Song


September is usually the month in which farmers harvest their sunflower crops. Greece produces quite a lot of sunflower oil, and I think that anyone who has seen those magnificent fields of golden sunflowers turning black before harvest time will relate to the following poem written by my mother.           

The Sunflower's Song


The earth caressed me, and gave me force
To grow upwards and to find the source
Of light, and bursting through the warming soil,
I found the sun, and so began my life.


First my back grew tall and strong,
And green with leaves that opened up,
To help me stand and turn about
So I could move my glowing head
To follow on that fiery sun
From dawn till dusk across the sky,
So with my brothers tall and strong
We made a dazzling countryside.


And then one day I felt so frail,
My neck was weak, my head bent down,
I could not turn – Oh! Where’s the warmth?
I’m falling forwards to the ground.

I know that all my beauty’s Past,
My golden face is blacking fast,
And then we hear the awful sound,
A shuddering noise that shakes the ground,
And then I know the end is near,
But suddenly I cease to fear,
For then I know that I’m not dead
From my sad and darkened head,
Will spring to life a host of seeds

Though some be killed and turned to oil,
Some will tumble on the soil,
To flower again, a golden sight,
That turns sad darkness into light.

Prudence Chandler, 2011

1 comment:

Search This Blog